Sunday 24 April 2011

Week 3 - Clumsy Waste Week

Is zero waste even possible?
What a week!  Six broken dishes, a broken measuring cup, a broken pairs of tongs, a broken hair band, a toothbrush, another empty pen, a few other packaging remnants from the freezer (ice cream carton, prawns, bacon wrapping), some gauze I used for cleaning Eli's eye, the plastic seal from a bottle of Children's Tylenol, and some fabric scraps and thread from sewing bulk bags.

I am beginning to think that producing absolutely no waste is next to impossible, least we live on a desert island with no material goods whatsoever. Darn things keep breaking on us. Well actually I accept full blame for the broken plates and measuring cup; I don't know why I put glass things in reach of little hands. But the plastic tongs and hair band... pure low quality plastic crapmanship.

I had thought that last week's purge would have put us in the running for a zero waste week, but that is not the case. Pieces of packaging keep popping up all over the place. I hope that by the end of this month we are able to get rid of all the garbage in the house (at least the packaging material) and then we can start with a clean slate (literally) for another kick at the cow.

Yes, we will continue on this zero waste journey for at least another month. In part to see if we can actually go a month without producing garbage, and also because we are only starting to get a taste of what zero-waste living is all about.  Everyday there is something else that I think, "I should do something about that." Right now I am in search of a sustainable toothbrush.

On another, but related note. A funny thing happened this weekend during our yard sale.  A woman was admiring a mug I had for sale.  Me being a saleswoman said "oh, that is such a great mug to pull out at Christmas", to which the woman replied, "You don't want to know what I'm going to do with it?!!"

I looked at her and then thought, what else could one possibly do with a mug "You are going to smash it aren't you?" The woman nodded in agreement and then went on to describe the bird house she was making, using broken ceramics as tiles, and using the handle for the perch. How clever.

I quickly ran inside and grabbed the box of broken dishes and ceramics from my clumsy week to show the woman.  She seemed as excited as I was about not having to buy and then break perfectly good disheware, and I was more than happy to know that this woman was going to turn our waste into purposeful art.

I am not a very religious person, but I can't help that think that God had something to do with that coincidence.  I mean what are the odds that this woman would appear at our home the very week that I had broken all those dishes. And for the conversation to reveal that she was looking for broken dishes.  I must have told this story at least ten times in the last 24 hours, but I am still in awe about what happened.

What do you think?  Was this woman too nice to say, "No thanks dear, I am looking for a different pattern/ colour/ style."? Did I just pass my garbage onto someone else? Do you know this woman who is making this birdhouse (I forgot to ask for her name and number so I can follow up)?  Is zero waste possible? How much garbage does your family produce a week?



2 comments:

  1. Love reading your blog and want to let you know that I have been recycling more due to your inspiration. I've always recycled the big things but I am more aware of all the little bits and pieces and am getting them into the recycling bins. After doing this years spring house clean out I have vowed to not allow anymore cheap plastic crap into my house. Everything that comes onto our property eventually needs to leave our property and be dealt with. not only is that a landfill issue but it is also an issue of my energy output. Dollar stores should be banned in my opinion! Everything starts at the consumption level and we need to choose what we buy carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jocelyn
    Hi Jocelyn, thanks for that lovely comment. It is so nice to hear that this little blog is having an impact.

    I totally agree about dollar stores - when stuff i cheap it is so easy to justify buying things that you don't really need and just end up taking up space in the home and then eventually the landfill - not to mention the wasted energy and resources. All for a little kick for the ten minutes of so that one gets satisfaction from the product. I have been there - gone to the dollar store to buy some craft paint and then walked out with $20 worth of stuff that I really didn't need.

    ReplyDelete