Monday 4 April 2011

If it's Broke - Fix It

As I sat fixing my brother and sister-in-law's bike trailer on Sunday afternoon, I said to Trevor, "I'm going to blog about this."

"What does this have to do with waste reduction?"

Since Trevor started his new job we have been searching for a daycare (thank goodness for grandparents).  We finally found two different daycares downtown, Mondays and Tuesdays with Janet and Fridays at St. Paul. One small problem, Trevor needs the car for work at 7:30 am and Eli doesn't start until 8 am.

I decided to ask Kim and Colin if I could borrow their bike trailer. I could use the exercise and I'm sure Eli wouldn't mind the change of scenery.

Sunday morning we visited Kim, Colin and Spencer for breakfast.

"Sure you can borrow the trailer, but the straps are broken.  They broke the day we bought it off kijiji which is why we have never used it." Looking at the trailer I saw that the straps holding the seat of the trailer had been completely ripped. Being the daughter of a sewing teacher I was up for the challenge.  I could always pull the "Mom..."

"It has everything to do with our project" I responded eagerly.  The trailer had already sat unused in a garage for a year.  If it wasn't fixed, where do you think it would end up? Plus, by fixing this trailer, we are avoiding buying a new one - the second R of waste reduction - Reuse (or borrow as the case may be).

The project took longer than I expected because I replaced the straps rather than just sewing them back together.  I felt better knowing that children riding in the trailer would be a lot safer. I probably saved  time in the long run anyways.

Our society is so consumer  driven.  Why bother fixing something? Save time, save money, save effort (I was a marketing student, I know the mantra) - buy it new.

We put such high value on our time, and now that we import everything from China where the value of average Chinese person's time is a fraction of  our own, it is so easy to justify throwing away something that could be fixed given a little time, effort, and some creative thinking. 

It is so rewarding to make/ fix something. It may not look as good as a new product, but for me, the uneven stitching lines and bright green thread (its what I had) that replaced the  perfectly straight, hidden matching stitches are just as good, if not better. I feel proud towing that trailer knowing that it was my efforts that made it all possible.

Big thanks Kim and Colin for making this story possible and for the exercise and fresh air and all the other benefits that will come of this.  You can have your trailer back anytime (once Trevor finishes this job, please).

Me and Eli going for a test ride. Note the homemade flag made from old undies and bamboo stick. 


1 comment:

  1. Looking good Eli and Marcia. Safe travels :)

    ReplyDelete