Saturday 9 April 2011

The perfect waste-free pet

Elianna has lots of love for Friday.
Friday is our cat and he is a natural when it comes to waste-free living.  He was Elianna's first birthday present, a gift that will last maybe not our lifetime, but a long time, and the best cat a young, waste-free family could hope for.

Eli loves Friday, and he must love her too, because he puts up with all the "love" she gives him. Her love comes in the form of hugs and tail tugs.   But Friday is a good cat and just takes all the love (sometimes I can even hear him purr).

Anyways, I digress (yet again) from the point of this story. Friday is a waste-free pet. Cats are known to be quite finicky, especially when it comes to their diet.  The vet told me that when I change cat foods brands, I should slowly introduce the new brand my mixing a little of it each feeding.  Sorry Friday, we waited too long.

I spent a good part of the day searching for cat food.  No Name brand was the only brand I could find.  It came in a boxboard box with no plastic coating or seal.
I don't have anything against buying No Name brand, my pantry is quite yellow in fact.  But cat food? I am not informed enough to say for sure that it isn't a good choice, but he is part of our family and I want to make sure he gets a healthy diet as well.  I bought the No Name brand anyways and some fancy canned food (which we never buy) to mix with it. Friday must be an anomaly, he ate the food without a fuss.

He is the perfect waste-free cat, not only does he put up with whatever food brand of cat food I feed him, he doesn't even use the litter box. He is an outside cat and does what I am sure most outdoor cats do, finds a nice garden bed to do his business. 

It was obvious that he would not be a 'safe' indoor cat the day I brought him home. He meowed incessantly at the window, as if to tell me, "Please, don't listen to what they told you at the SPCA, just let me go outside. I need to be outside. I won't let you sleep until you let me GO OUTSIDE!"

I can appreciate that people love their cats and want them to be safe.  But cats are meant to be outside.  It is in their nature.  Yes, I have lost two other cats to forces of nature (a street dog in Thailand, and the other I'm not sure but I suspect maybe a coyote), but if you want to cut one more chore out of your busy life, then think about it. Outdoor cats are happy cats.

2 comments:

  1. countrylady200221 April 2011 at 18:38

    Ours are outdoor cats also. I truly believe it is so much nicer to animals to let them be outside and free than to control everything they do by keeping them inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cat was raised on No Name cat food and pretty much the cheapest stuff you can find. She's now 16 years old and is very healthy.

    ReplyDelete