Tuesday 12 April 2011

Dinner with Aunt Ivy

Aunt Ivy lives in Ontario (I can't remember exactly where) and has come to BC for a visit. I have never met Trevor's aunt, but she seems like a lovely lady - one who sends hand-made gifts for special occasions (Elianna's birth, our wedding).

Aunt Ivy is in town tonight and Mike and Hilary (father and step-mother in-law) have invited us to dine with her. Trevor has informed me that they are ordering Asian food for delivery... great, I don't have to cook. But what about the waste? Technically it isn't our waste (and I can't say for sure whether it will be recyclable or not), but I can't help myself...

"Umm, sweetie, do you think it would be alright if we bring reusable containers to the restaurant and ask them to put our order in the containers?" I look at Trevor as if to say, 'am I taking this too far?'

Trevor rolls his eyes and looks at me as if to confirm 'yes, you are pushing it a little'.  I was not shocked by the his reaction, Trevor is the type of person who doesn't like to impose on anyone. "You can talk to my Dad about it," was his response.

I phone Grandpa Dick (Mike) and ask if it would be alright if we brought containers for the take-away food he was planning to order.  He is so much like Trevor that I knew he would try to appease me, as long as it didn't put anyone else out.  No problem, in fact, we could pick up the food on our way over.

I called Chilli King to make sure that they wouldn't have a problem bringing our own containers for take-away.   I'm not sure if the lady who answered understood what I had asked, but we will find out soon enough.

On the topic of appeasement, I am also the type of person who doesn't like to impose on anyone, or make anyone feel uncomfortable. I think I try too hard to make other people happy, and often at my own expense. I consider myself to be environmentally conscious and responsible (most of the time, although hard-core greenies would find many flaws), but many times I act contrary to my beliefs, to make other people happy.

How stupid is that?  I am sure there is innate rationale for conformity, but why should I feel bad about doing the things that I think are right? Things that have a lesser impact on the environment, like saving a few resources.

This challenge is a good excuse to not conform. This challenge is my scape goat, my expressed justification for putting food in containers at the grocery store, or for asking my father-in-law if we could pick up the food from the restaurant in reusable containers.  I just wish that someday I won't feel guilty for being the person I am. I wish that someday I won't be frowned upon for asking someone to make a little extra effort, for the sake of our children's future.

Is it too much to ask to look beyond our immediate needs (wants) and to think about the consequences of our actions?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Marcia, great story! I'm not sure if I could ask what you did but good for you for doing what you needed to do. And it's great your family is supporting you - sounds like you married into a great one! A couple more weeks to go. And btw, thanks for the mention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I order Chinese from a place a few blocks from my house. They have a dish called "crisp chow mein with vegetables", which probably is as healthy as a cheeseburger and fries. It's usually offered in a plastic UFO-shaped container with the noodles on the bottom. By the time you get home and are half way through the meal the noodles are usually soggy. My solution is to bring two reusable containers - one for the noodles, one for the veggies. The chef agrees this is a better way to transport it and is happy that his cooking is being appreciated better. Win-Win. No awkwardness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. countrylady200221 April 2011 at 18:30

    The take home containers are an expense for the owners. I would think that most of them would be happy if everybody did what you did. I use to have an antique shop and I loved it when someone didn't want me to wrap the item or put it in a bag. Less cost and saves the enviroment!

    ReplyDelete