Tuesday 20 September 2011

Tomato Festival

This weekend marked the First Annual Friends of the Garden (FOG) Tomato Festival.  I had been going to the meetings with my mother, so I knew well in advance that the festival was coming.  I planted eleven plants in six different varieties.

I got up early on Saturday morning to pick the biggest and ugliest tomato in my garden to enter in a contest (see photo next - mine is the one that the person is holding).  I planted several Beefsteak variety, and these are both big and ugly.  My biggest was just under 2 lbs, which was one of the biggest at the festival - but not the biggest.  The festival itself was wonderful.  Eli and I tasted about 20 varieties, before we had our fill (my favourite are the cherry - so sweet).

My mother was on the crew cutting up the tomatoes for sampling. Several of the variety were heirloom, so she gave me some to take home to save.  Luckily there was a table at the festival with information on saving seeds.  Ferment them in a jar for three days and then strain and dry on a plate, picking them off the plate every now and again while they are drying and when they stop sticking to the plate you know they are dry.  It seems simple enough so I am going to try.

I suppose that it was appropriate that I spent the weekend at home (for the most part), preserving the abundant supply of tomatoes to celebrate the festival. I got this amazing salsa recipe from an old colleague, Bella which I will share with you as it is so simple.

Put 1 tbsp salt, 1 cup vinegar,  1 tsp paprika, 1 medium onion diced, 2 peppers diced (I only used one green as I don't seem to have much luck growing peppers), 1 glove of giant garlic chopped, and 4.5 pounds of chopped tomatoes (3 large beefsteak tomatoes) into a pot and let it simmer for 1 - 1.5 hours (depending on how think you like it).  The recipe makes about 3 - 4 quart sized jars.   Process the jars in a canner for 20 - 30 minutes and voila.  Homemade and homegrown salsa to enjoy all year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment