Monday 1 August 2011

Garbage Update

Three months of garbage
Our garbage sits on top of the dryer in the hall and has been slowing filling since May 1st.  We use a clear bag so that its contents can be viewed. Every now and again I will sift through the bag and sort out any recyclable or compostable material that gets inadvertently put in the garbage.

I have been very generous about what I put in the compost.  A common mistake with backyard composting is not putting enough "brown" material into the pile.  "Brown" material are things that have a high carbon content, things like shredded paper, dried leaves, and wood chips.  I have been putting stickers, bandaid wrappers, wax paper cut into pieces, Sun Chip bags cut into pieces (they claim to be 100% recyclable), a take-out coffee cup cut into pieces, and any paper that is not recyclable that we acquire (like paper towels from the public washrooms or napkins from a restaurant).

Some waste is hard to control.  People give us garbage all the time, even people who know what we are doing. Whether it is my mother who kindly brings us the contents of her fridge when she goes away on vacation (in plastic bags), or my sister who buys Eli a gift that comes with plastic tags.

The most frustrating thing about living waste free is that we miss out on some of the good deals that come when you make bulk purchases.  I bought some cat food yesterday and the No Name brand that I have been buying in a 1 kg box for about $3.50 also comes in a 6 kg paper bag from $6.98.  Last month I bought the bag, unknowing that the paper bag is actually a composite of paper and plastic, which means that the bag isn't recyclable. Because of this, I opted to buy the 1 kg box and will grudgingly pay the higher price to avoid making waste.

Living waste free definitely comes at a cost - paying a higher price for our food (sort of like eating organic food, which a lot of it is anyway, but even organic food comes wrapped in garbage sometimes).  On the flip side, because we are very conscious about our waste, we tend not to let much food spoil.  (The little food that does spoil gets flushed down the toilet).

Most of the benefits are intangible - the great feeling that comes from living true to myself and my values.  Spending my time and energy doing what I believe in is extremely satisfying.  I won't lie - waste free living requires human effort - preparing shopping bags, washing bags, washing cloths, asking questions, seeking waste-free options - but these are all things that I enjoy doing because it gives me pleasure to know that my effort is for something bigger than myself.

So I will grin and bear the funny looks I get from waitresses when I package all the table waste from our meal out, pay twice the price for cat food, and continue bringing all my waste, recyclables, and compost home with me because it feels good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment