Wednesday 27 July 2011

Waste Free ablutions - part three

It's a part of every woman's life, but not something that we talk about very much, other than with close friends.  When I first discovered the Diva Cup I was so excited - I had no idea that there was such thing as a reusable menstrual cup.  Not only does it reduce waste, but it works way better than any product I have used and translates to huge cost savings!

The cup functions much better than any product on the market.   I have had my cup for about three years and the only time it has ever leaked was when I first bought it and put it in wrong.  It holds much more than any tampon or pad so it only needs to be changed about once a day (although every woman is different). The cup is deceivingly comfortable - like a tampon, you don't even feel it once it is in.  

The cup is easy to use, once you read the instructions.  I found this video on youtube that demonstrates how to use a menstrual cup, and it also offers some tips on changing a cup in a public restroom (which until now I have managed to avoid doing).

I recently convinced my sister to buy one and now she is a Diva Cup advocate.  At first she was a bit concerned with the logistics of finding a private bathroom to change the cup when it filled, but after only 2 months of using it, she sees that there is really no challenge at all.   

I bought two Diva Cups as prize give-aways for my staff (little incentives to make sorting garbage a little more exciting - five of the six staff are female so I thought it would be appropriate).  My sister is one of the staff and every time someone would win a prize she would say "pick the cup - it's the best value".  The girls that took the cups were a bit shy at first, but are now telling me how glad they are that they chose the cups and telling me that they really work well.

The Diva Cup is a worth-while investment.  According to the Diva Cup website, the average woman spends about $150 per year on menstrual products.  The Diva Cup costs about $50 so it pays itself off in less than half a year.  If you are from the Kamloops area, the Diva Cup is sold at Nature's Fare or London Drugs. 

Reading this blog post you may think I am a Diva Cup spokesperson or a marketing agent for the company.  I wish, the truth is I am just a very satisfied consumer.   And if I can convince just one person to go out and buy a Diva Cup, then I have come one step closer to my vision of the future - where landfills are naught but composting facilities.

0 comments:

Post a Comment