Thursday 8 March 2012

(Not so) Waste Free Living - Update

Okay, so its been a while (understatement) since my last post.  I could make excuses but that would be a
waste of time and energy - the fact is that I have just not been inspired to write.  Over the Christmas season
we slacked on our waste free living, and never really got back into the groove.  I'm not saying that we are
total hypocrites, we still avoid packaging as much as possible, but being pregnant, I have let myself indulge
and buy foods that come in packaging that isn't recyclable - like prawns, cheese, and the occasional bag of
chips.

I used to buy all my meats and cheeses at the deli and butcher and avoided at all costs any packaging that
could not be recycled.  I will be the first to admit that going to three stores to buy my groceries was more
than onerous, especially when Eli was along for the ride (in and out of car seat).  And if you have ever
experienced the first trimester of pregnancy, you will know that anything requiring extra effort is not likely
to happen.

Another big addition to our waste stream is the meat packaging that has resulted in our purchase of half a
cow from a local farmer (which I feel is completely justified).  The paper, which I thought (hoped) might
have been lined with wax, is actually lined with plastic - not compostable or recyclable.  So it goes into
the trash.

Cheese packaging is another thing I would like to bring up.  I had this discussion with Jen and Grant from
the Clean Bin Project while they were touring the area and they also now buy packaged cheese (further
justification - my inspiring heros are doing it!).  Like I already mentioned, I used to buy my cheese at the
deli and have it put into my own container.  But the cheese at the deli is already wrapped in plastic so it
wasn't like my purchase of cheese was completely waste free - I just let the deli take responsibility for it.
Not to mention that every time you buy something at the deli they put a fresh plastic glove on to serve you,
 and then wrap the end of the cheese in plastic film.  So it doesn't really result in less waste by buying cheese
from the deli.

I suppose I could just give up cheese altogether, which would be much easier if I lived in a country where
cheese wasn't so prevalent, but I am just not there yet.  And so another addition to the garbage.

I have also discovered that stretchy plastic film IS recyclable, which has opened up a whole new realm of foods

How much garbage do we produce?  I'd say we are up to about a grocery bag full a month, which isn't so bad
but is really bad compared to where we were before Christmas and pregnant.  Well, hopefully this blog post
will inspire me to get back into the groove.  Here's to any of you out there still checking in on my blog - thank you.

4 comments:

  1. I'm still checking in, so don't stop writing! (as if I should talk).

    Anyway, 1 grocery bag a month (with a family no less!) is no small feat, and is so so much better than the 750-1000 pounds most people are producing. And I agree that your local humanely raised beef is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another way to determine the scrap metal prices is asking a person who have been in the business in your area.

    Buy Waste Tire Scrap

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to see your blog as it is just what I’ve looking for and excited to read all the posts
    Institutional Biogas Plant in Bangalore | Domestic Biogas Plant in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  4. When going to the store, I always try to have my own reusable bag and product packaging. So as not to take more from the store.

    ReplyDelete