Sunday 20 March 2011

Soft plastics - Not Recyclable in Kamloops

Our goal is to produce no landfill waste for the month of April, 2011.  Small problem, I have just done an inventory check of our cupboards and freezer and there is plenty of stuff that is packaged in soft plastic which is not recyclable in Kamloops and that we will likely not be able to consume in the next 11 days.

I know that there is a company in Kelowna that recycles soft plastics (or used to anyways).  I have contacted them to see if they still recycle soft plastics and if so, if it would be possible to drop off our soft plastics at their facility. Btw, we won't make a special trip just to recycle the plastic, so if anyone is going to Kelowna and wouldn't mind taking a bit of a side trip to Metro Materials, please comment on this posting.

3 comments:

  1. By soft plastics, do you mean plastic bags? Some plastic bags can be taken to London Drugs, and a few other retailers that ship them to Vancouver for recycling.

    I also notice that London Drugs will take back packaging from any product that you purchased there, and they will recycle as much as possible, and ship the rest back to their supplier (as a hint to make more recyclable packaging).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I mean by "soft plastics" is all that plastic wrapping that comes on almost everything we buy - cereal box liners, plastic wrapping around cheese and meat, the seal around some jars of sauce, the seal on top of some types of yogurt and cottage cheese, chip bags, granola bar wrappers, etc.

    Good suggestion about London Drugs, but our goal is to not buy any material goods either. I will have to see if they sell cheese :) I don't know what I would do if I have to give up cheese :~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've recently been struck by just how much soft plastic I toss, too. It easily makes up most of our kitchen garbage. :(

    Would love to hear about that company in Kelowna.

    -jess

    ReplyDelete